Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Fateful Beginning

I've always loved Shakespeare, even if I didn't always understand it. I loved the eloquence and flow of the words and I loved the drama that occurred in the Bard's pages of text. As I entered high school and read his sonnets I was hypnotized by his lyrical sonnets and the diversity of his plots. However I never really had to opportunity to read many of his works. Sure in my ninth grade we read Romeo and Juliet, but it was when I saw Hamlet that same year that I saw some of the depth of Shakespeare. In that same year I ended up reading Shakespeare's sonnets as well as Twelfth Night and Macbeth. But then life picked up and the Bard fell in to the dust along with the Great Depression, variables and hydrogen bonds.

It wasn't until the beginning of my freshman year at BYU that the Bard came to my attention again. I have always been a theater freak, and though my major isn't theater, I decided to be in a Mask Club production of The Taming of the Shrew. I was a minor role, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and thought how I would love to take up Shakespeare. I watched movies that were modern, but Shakespearian, such as 10 Things I Hate About You and She's the Man. I was hooked and decided that I would have to take a Shakespeare class to become more exposed. Sadly, I've had to wait a year and a half to finally make it to this fateful day. In that time I have acquired a new favorite book based off of the story of Hamlet (The Story of Edgar Sawtelle),seen a BYU production of Shakespeare, and yes, watched Gnomeo and Juliet. These spurred me forward in my quest to conquer Shakespeare and I am now excited and ready to begin the adventure and at the same time, once again immerse myself in The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

1 comment:

  1. Just a question from class:
    Do you think Hamlet is any better than Claudius given Hamlet's murder of Polonius and Claudius's murder of the king? Are their stories of ambition and passionate retribution different?

    ReplyDelete