Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's "Nature"al

The Bohemians must have been a nature lovers. All throughout Act 4 I found so many nature references and I love them. Shakespeare is a master of imagery and I find his nature analogies and references so powerful. To me they really illustrate that point that he is trying to drive across. (Granted I'm a Wildlife Conservation major so I'm a bit biased.) So here a few of my favorite nature references in a Winter's Tale...well in Act 4 but I hope to find even more!!



But come; our dance, I pray:/Your hand, my Perdita:so turtles pair/That never mean to part


(that quote reminds me a lot of Romeo and Juliet when he references pilgrims hands)


I wish you/A wave o' the sea, that you might ever do/Nothing but that; move still, still so,/And own no other function




And finally my favorite one....

For never gazed the moon/Upon the water, as he'll stand and read/As 't were my daughter's eyes




In my opinion the true romance of language is nature...not Italian, Spanish or French. Because when you speak in terms of nature everyone knows what you are talking about.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe not the true romance language but the universal Romance language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to say I am not a fan of nature. I used to run around screaming, "kill mother nature" when I was little and I still have issues with it though I don't go around desiring its demise. I do however agree with you that Shakespeare is a master of imagery and his incredible images and descriptions make me fond of nature because they're just so beautiful. His talk of nature also makes part two of this play feel so completely different from the first few acts, which we knew was going to happen anyway, but the happy springtime ideas make it much more defined.

    ReplyDelete