Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Problem with Paulina


I'll admit it, I have a problem with Paulina. Sure it's great that she sticks it to the man, so to speak and makes Leontes feel guilty, but after that I have issues with her. I don't understand why she would make Leontes feel guilt for SIXTEEN YEARS about Hermione's "death", when she knows that Hermione is alive and well. I almost feel like it is worse of Paulina for Leontes to suffer for years on end about something he didn't even do! (Okay he was responsible for the death of Mamillus and he accused Hermione but he didn't kill her!)

Not only this but at the end of the play Paulina talks about awakening faith and goes all Christian. But wouldn't part of having faith and feeling guilt also be forgiving? Like I said I just don't understand why she causes Leontes to suffer for sixteen years! That is a decade and a half of marriage that she robbed from the king and queen! Think about how much growth for the couple and the kingdom could have occurred then!

I guess I can think of two justifications for her hiding of Hermione. First would be that she is trying to fulfill the oracle's prophecy (not that great of a reason in my opinion). Secondly, might be that in some way she is exacting revenge on Leontes for the failed return of her own husband and the death of the young prince. (I guess a third reason would be to protect Hermione, but this doesn't seem necessary because Leontes is obviously very penitent.)

So there you go. I've said it, even though it seems many people love Paulina's pointed words and unsweetened tongue. I just think she was a little harsh and rash and well, rude in keeping Hermione away from her loving, though misguided, husband. It doesn't seem her place to meddle in marriage. But I guess that's what was needed to move the play forward. It just irks me (and I'm sorry that this turned into a rant). But I guess that's Shakespeare.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going back to the car ride home again, but here I go...

    We made an executive decision, Hermione was dead!
    We like the implications on Paulina and Herminoe better in this way...
    Perhaps as the oracles predictions begin to come true the statue actually did begin to age, as it wasn't that way before...
    Paulina's attempts to hind the statue and keep it from others are her own pieces of faithlessness and failure to forgive Leonties, but then deciding she must commit requires the others to commit to faith also, she has finally forgiven Leonties and acts on some knowledge and faith to finally allow the statue to come to life and respects fulfill the oracle's prophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to agree with you, Katie. I have a lot of issues with Paulina too. She has some clever lines and I like how bold she is for a woman of that time, but she definitely takes it too far. Maybe the queen was directing her though... That would change things quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete