Friday, October 7, 2011

Presenting Antony and Cleopatra! - well my plan for reading...


So my play that I am going to be exploring is Anthony and Cleopatra. I'm going to be completely honest I had no idea what this play was about. I mean I recognize the names of Antony and Cleopatra as historical figures, and I knew that Shakespeare had written a play about them, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. So naturally the first went to SparkNotes to figure out what this is all about. (In case you want a quick synopsis as well click here!)

Basically it seems as if the play is full of many complicated motives and twists. I think it should be an exciting read but at the hard time very hard to keep up with! I'm excited but daunted at the same time because it does seem so complex. One thing I am going to examine in the reading of Antony and Cleopatra is once again the idea of reality as we percieve it. They both seem passionate, vengeful and driven by what they want and what they believe to be true. In other words I once again want to examine how we decide to construct our reality and what reality really is. I've found this theme in the other two plays we've read and it fascinates me! (see here for previous blogs about.)

Finally I think for my film viewing I am going to watch Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. It won four Oscars (and it's available on Netflix!). From reviews it looks as though this production with vary from the play, but that's almost expected in film. Here's the trailer! (Sorry its long so please don't watch the whole thing, just some to get the idea.)

No comments:

Post a Comment