Monday, October 24, 2011

What is in a Name?

I've been thinking about something we talked about in class, that is I've been thinking about names. Now I know that it was briefly that we spoke of this but Professor Burton mentioned that Caliban's name comes from the word cannibal. This alone tells some of what Caliban's character is going to be like, that is unrefined and prone to wicked, wild ways. Then I was reading Sparknotes to make sure I understood everything, and for Act III scene one it gave the explanation that Miranda's name means admirable. And Ferdinand plays off of this:
Admired Miranda!
Indeed the top of admiration! worth
What's dearest to the world!

So I started to wonder if any of the other characters had names that were prevalent to their personaltiy. Not surprisingly, a few more were! Here they are! ( I consulted here and here for the meaning of names.)

~ Alonso: eager for battle -- Alonso aided Antonia is overthrowing Prospero. However he does seem to later regret his actions.

~Ariel: lion of God -- I find this really interesting because Ariel is Prospero's spirit servant. However he is quite powerful in his actions and abilities but he obeys the protagonist in our plot. So I guess the name describes him. He is fierce but belongs to the so called ruler of the island.

~Ferdinand: courageous, daring, brave -- Ferdinand is the prince who falls in love with Miranda. He is ready to defend and to work for Miranda but he is also compassionate. I think this is a fitting name for our hero.

~Gonzalo:wolf -- When I think of wolves I think of quiet, yet fierce and ever alert creatures. Gonzalo is loyal and willing to defend his king. He is also wise and a peacemaker. As a quick note he aided Prospero and Miranda in their get away.

~Prospero: wealthy, prosperous -- Despite being upsurped and exiled, Prospero has done quite well for himself! He has magically abilites, an island to himself, and seemingly endless spirits at his command.


**And just for fun I decided to look up what the names of our group members mean!**

~Christopher: Christ bearer, he who holds Christ in his heart (English)
~Eric: honorable ruler (Scandinavian)
~Kara: sweet melody (Irish)
~Katie: pure (Irish and English)
~Meg: pearl (Irish)

***Oh and for more fun, Professor Burton!***

~Gideon: great warrior

2 comments:

  1. Leonties -- lust, wife is cheating
    Learties -- passion, father and sister wronged
    Leonato -- passion, daughter wronged

    THEY ALL START WITH L.

    Point for me!!

    Ok, i don't know but they have always been in the back of my mind.

    It is really interesting to me the power of a name. We name things to categorize them and i think Shakespeare also spent time name his characters or creating them after a name.

    One example i know:
    In Much Ado about Nothing Beatrice and Benedick are two characters with great wit and sharp tongues. In then end they are "blessed" with good friend who plaint in their minds the idea that the other loves them. They go from hating enemies to betrothed. They become one, "Blessed".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, good idea. I think I'll start paying more attention and looking up the names for some added depth

    ReplyDelete